Saturday, November 22, 2008

This highchair is...Fun one day...SCARY the next!!

As you can see...Effie was really enjoying herself in this very nice highchair that my sister gave to us. It was used by my adorable nephew R.J., and we have been storing it in our garage since I was pregnant, waiting until the right time to bring it out for Effie. Gabe scrubbed it down with bleach, cleaned every nook and cranny (so we thought) and dried it out in the sun to make sure it was almost like new for Baby Effie. This looks like a "FUN" highchair right??

The above pictures were taken on October 26th...just a couple of days after we brought the highchair in from the garage. The pictures below were taken on October 29th.
The morning of October 29th, Effie was crawling towards me and I saw a little baby spider on her cheek, so I quickly took the little spider off of her face. No big deal...one spider. Well, a couple of seconds later I happened to look at the floor where she was crawling and I saw some movement on the carpet, when I looked closer, there were about 5 more baby spiders. Now I was thinking, this is very weird! About an hour later, Gabe was getting ready to put his dress shirt on which was hanging on the back of the chair that was sitting right next to the highchair. Upon close examination of his white dress shirt, he was surprised to find at least 10 baby spiders on his dress shirt. He took care of that situation and left for work. In my mind, I knew something was wrong, I knew that sort of like ants, baby spiders came in the hundreds (like on Charlotte's Web) so I was concerned. Later that morning, I was playing with Effie on the floor when I looked over at her highchair and noticed a spider web on the leg of her highchair. Ding Ding Ding!!! I knew right away that the spiders must be coming from the highchair somehow. So I quickly took the highchair outside. (I haven't seen another spider since then). When Gabe came home from work, he flipped the highchair over to take a closer look at this spider web. Check out what he found!!...


3 baby spider cocoons!! WOW!! What these pictures do not reveal, however, is the HUGE Mama spider that crawled up into the tube of the chair to hide from Gabe.
Needless to say, this highchair went in the trash! Which is a shame because it got used by one child, and is now going to end up in the land fields.
Let this be a warning to all of us who are planning on having more children and planning on using all of the EXPENSIVE baby gear for our future children...CHECK IT GOOD! Make sure you check the tubes, and any other places where creatures could be nesting. I suggested to Gabe that before we store our baby gear, we tape up any tube openings.

No comments: